Click here to browse our past photo blog selections. No further selections are being made at this time due to problems with spam.
The Museum is currently working on digitizing and cataloging slides for the Don Hunter Project.
Click to browse our collection now. You can search to find ancestors, to aid research, or just to enjoy images of the past. The online database is a work in progress, so check back often for additional images.
Highlights of the Digital Photograph Collection
The Don Hunter Project
Don Hunter (1914 - ), retired Audio Visual Director and professor emeritus of the University of Oregon (1947-1977), was also a prolific amateur photographer. He is best known for his elaborate slideshow programs presented on upwards of three to four screens with accompanying music and narration. His photographic slides present rich documentary information for Lane County and surrounding areas dating back to 1938. The collection itself is comprised of an estimated 250,000-500,000 slides, fifty-two in-depth, hand-notated slide catalogs of the collection and two card catalogs indexed by topics. Subjects and topics include: ghost towns; logging; natural disasters; steam locomotives; trips to numerous Audio-Visual Departments at universities across the United States and audio-visual equipment; wildland conservation; wildlife; and local events e.g., the annual Canoe Fete at the University of Oregon, the Eugene Celebration, the Oregon Country Fair, and the Scandinavian Festival. Nonlocal photographs of interest include the August 14, 1945 V-J Day celebration (Victory over Japan) in Chicago, Illinois and the 1964-65 New York World’s Fair. Digitized images of the of Don Hunter collection are designated with an object-ID of DH. Please note that many of these images may not yet be available online.
The Big Snow
On the morning of January 25, 1969, snow began to fall on the city of Eugene, Oregon. For three days the snow came down, leaving Eugene and the surrounding communities buried three feet deep in the white stuff. The following is a look back at that bizarre winter storm through the camera lens of Don Hunter and the memories of Lane County residents. We hope this is only the first of many multimedia projects utilizing Don Hunter’s rich and vast slide collection to help tell the story of Lane County and its residents!
Several collections have been digitized through the Digital Scanning Project at Lane County Historical Society and Museum and are available online. The collections include photographs of Lane County from as early as the 1860s. Subjects include: historic residences; logging operations; people; steam locomotives and trains; and urban centers and buildings. Collections include (with object-ID): the General Collection (GN), Kennell Ellis (KE), Smith Mountjoy (SM); J.M. Nighswander (JN); Elizabeth Romane (ER and L82-516-), Henry R. Ross (HR), Chester Stevenson (CS) and John and Clarence Winter (WR).
A collection of photographs put together for the LCHM birthday celebration, Summer 2012
DH6967; 1965; Rayonier Incorporated steam locomotive engine #111 is illuminated in the late evening by Don Hunter's Steinheimer flash and "sun gun". Engine is sitting in the train yard of the old Rayonier railroad camp located six miles southeast of Humptulips, Washington.
In honor of Eugene’s upcoming 150th birthday, we have included some photographs of Lane County’s earliest residents. The Object ID, date, and description for each photograph are listed below the images.
GN6800; n.d.; Mary Cook Skinner, wife of Eugene Skinner who was the founder of the city of Eugene. She was born February 7, 1816 and married Skinner on November 28, 1839. The Skinners settled near Skinner Butte in 1847. Skinner staked his claim and built his cabin in 1846. After Skinner's death, Mary married Capt. N.L. Packard February 7, 1867. She died June 4, 1881.
GN5297; n.d.; Eugene Skinner, founder of the city of Eugene. Skinner built a cabin at the west end of Skinner Butte near the Willamette River in 1846. He then brought his wife, Mary Cook Skinner, to the claim. Settlement by other pioneers soon followed.
GN5110; 1848; Eugene F. Skinner, holding rifle and dressed in hunting gear. Said to be at Sutter's Fort in California preparing to return to Oregon after mining gold. Photograph of a portrait by R. Younger.
GN4955; c.1950; Sketch and description of cabin built in 1846 by Eugene Skinner, founder of the city of Eugene. Drafted from memory by Skinner's daughter, Phoebe Skinner Kinsey, c.1950.
GN8521; n.d.; Elijah and Susannah Gabbart Bristow. Elijah Bristow, Lane County's 1st settler, founded Pleasant Hill in 1846. His family, including Susannah and most of their 15 children, came west to join him in 1848. Scene shows the couple seated side by side; Susannah has her arm through her husband's. She wears a ruffled cap with bow tied under her chin.
GN7755; 1863; Henry Bristow, member of the Bristow family which settled the Pleasant Hill area c.1846, poses with blacksmith's anvil, hammer and tongs. Bristow was born in 1824 and died in 1914.
GN5942; 1884; The Elijah Bristow residence, Pleasant Hill, built 1846. Scene shows 1-story frame dwelling with attic and shingled sides at the left; barn and livestock on the right. Two boys and a dog play with wagon in foreground; tree-lined hills in background. The Bristow dwelling was the 1st house built in Lane County. Photograph of a lithograph.
GN4943; 1903; The Elijah Bristow residence, Pleasant Hill, the 1st settler's home built in Lane County (1846). Exterior. View of weathered cabin with log walls and porches on both front and side of building.
GN10128; 1976; Trunk in which one woman successfully transported china wrapped in blankets out west. Image shows a trunk holding china positioned on draped blankets, with a family Bible and spectacles positioned in the foreground. Items are arranged on a braided rag rug, and were brought to Lane County over the Oregon Trail, by Susannah Bristow in 1848.
GN8668; n.d.; William Dodson, one of the first 4 settlers, called the "Four Horsemen", to settle in Lane County. Along with Elijah Bristow, Felix Scott and Eugene Skinner, Dodson rode south from Dallas, Oregon in 1846 to stake a land claim. He settled near Bristow in Pleasant Hill.
GN5030; n.d.; John Crow; arrived in Oregon via the Oregon Trail in 1852 and settled in the Lorane Valley on a donation land claim. Before he came west, he surveyed land with Abraham Lincoln. He was a cousin of Andrew Jackson Crow for whom the town of Crow is said to be named.
GN8450; n.d.; General Joseph Lane, appointed 1st governor of Oregon Territory in 1849. He later served as Oregon Territory delegate to the United States Congress and then as United States senator from Oregon. Lane County, created January 28, 1851, was named for him. Image shows him seated and wearing a suit; his hair is white.
GN5150; n.d.; Sarah Jane Stevens Armitage, wife of George H. Armitage and the 1st white woman to cross the McKenzie River in a covered wagon (Christmas Day 1847). The Armitage's lived on the McKenzie River, operating a ferry near Coburg that was later purchased by Jacob Spores. Armitage Park is named for this family.
GN5151; n.d.; George Henry Armitage, who came to Oregon by sailing around Cape Horn in 1848. He settled in Lane County in 1849, married Sarah Jane Stevens and operated the 1st ferry across the McKenzie River. He later sold the ferry to Jacob Spores. Armitage Park, south of Coburg, was named for his family.
GN6211; 1884; Residence of Jacob C. Spores, 2 miles south of Coburg near the McKenzie River. Scene shows 1-story frame dwelling and barn surrounded by rail fences and young trees. Horse traffic and pedestrians pass in foreground; tree-lined hillside in background. Spores settled in Coburg in 1847 with his family and operated a ferry on the McKenzie River for many years. Ferry crossing was near site of present-day Interstate 5 freeway bridges. Photograph of a lithograph.
GN5394; n.d.; Charnel Mulligan; early Eugene civic leader who came to Oregon in 1847. He gave land for public facilities when Eugene became the county seat for Lane County; his donation land claim adjoined that of the city founder, Eugene F. Skinner, and was incorporated into downtown Eugene. He married Martha Spores, daughter of McKenzie River ferry operator Jacob Collyer Spores.
GN5077; n.d.; Dr. John McLoughlin, Chief Factor of the Hudsons Bay Company of London, England, with headquarters at Fort Vancouver on the Columbia River in Washington. He served from 1823 to 1841. Called the "Governor of the Oregon Country," he shared this title with Jason Lee of Salem, Oregon, as U.S. settlers began to enter the Oregon country. Photograph of a drawing.
WR31; n.d.; Portrait of T.G. Hendricks, Mayor of Eugene from April 1881 to 1883. Hendricks was a founder of Eugene's early Hendricks & Eakins Bank, and later President of the First National Bank of Eugene.
GN8461; n.d.; James M. Hendricks, father of Eugene banker, businessman and civic leader Thomas G. Hendricks. His wife was Elizabeth Bristow (1815-1878) daughter of Pleasant Hill pioneer and founder Elijah Bristow.
GN8459; n.d.; Elizabeth Bristow Hendricks, born 1815 and died 1878. She was the mother of Thomas G. Hendricks, Eugene banker, businessman and civic leader; she was also the wife of James M. Hendricks and the daughter of Pleasant Hill pioneer and founder Elijah Bristow.
GN516; 1885; The Thomas G. and Martha Stewart Hendricks residence, 892 Charnelton Street (post-1913 street number), on the northwest corner of 9th Avenue and Charnelton Street. Exterior. View of 2-story frame residence with Gothic-style upstairs windows, prior to 1887 remodeling. Children on board sidewalk in foreground are, left to right: Ruby Hendricks (Goodrich), Gretta Bristow (Tyron), Ada Hendricks (Smith), and Maude, who married J. M. Shelley. Seated on porch, left to right are: Addie Medley (Cleaver), Ida Hendricks (Chambers), Mrs. Darwin Bristow and Martha Hendricks. House was built by W.W. Bristow and later purchased by the Hendricks.
GN7510; n.d.; Diary pages from journal of Oregon pioneer Stewart B. Eakin, dated Monday, January 1st, 1866. Eakin and T.G. Hendricks co-founded the Hendricks & Eakins Bank in Eugene in December 1883.
GN7593; n.d.; Stewart B. Eakin, Jr., co-founder, vice-president and cashier of Eugene's Hendricks & Eakin Bank (later First National Bank) from 1883 to 1912. Eakin came to Oregon in 1866; he also served as Lane County Sheriff for a time. Photo shows him in 3-piece suit, sitting in armchair.
GN447; c. 1888; F.M. Wilkins house, on northeast corner of West 9th Avenue and Charnelton. Exterior. Francis M. Wilkins standing to the left of stairs. Maude Wilkins standing to right with Lucia sitting at her feet. Mrs. Wilkins standing on porch. Frank standing on stairs and Nina sitting on railing. Tree nearest residence on left is a grand chestnut. California redwood barely visible at right.
GN4841; n.d.; Donation land claim home of Mitchell and Permelia Wilkins, pioneers of 1848. Scene shows 2-story dwelling, barn and rail fence in hollow beneath grass-covered hills. Residence was north of Coburg and Willamette Forks. Centennial Butte is at left, with 3 trees planted on top. Photograph of a painting by the Wilkins' granddaughter, Nina Wilkins McCornack.
GN5329; n.d.; The 3 daughters of Mitchell and Permelia Wilkins, who came to Oregon across the plains in 1847. The family lived at the base of the Coburg Hills near Centennial Butte. Left to right are Angeline (Mrs. Sam Holt), Lida (Mrs. Albert Bently) and Etta (Mrs. Joseph Kays).
GN5321; n.d.; Mitchell Wilkins; came to Oregon across the plains with his wife, Permelia Allen Wilkins, in 1848. The Wilkins settled at the base of the Coburg Hills near Centennial Butte. Francis Marion Wilkins, Eugene City pharmacist and mayor, was their son.
GN2323; 1922; Portrait of Francis Marion Wilkins, Mayor of Eugene from April 1905 to April 1907. Wilkins was a Eugene businessman and later, President of the Promotion Department of the Eugene Commercial Club.
GN5204; n.d.; Reverend Jacob Gillespie, founder of Eugene's Cumberland Presbyterian Church in August 1853; built the 1st church building in 1857. He came to Oregon via the Oregon Trail in 1852 and was the maternal grandfather of Cal Young.
GN8512; c. 1863; John Gillespie Day and his wife, Agnes Lenora Gillespie Day. The 2 were cousins who traveled across the plains to Oregon in the same wagon train in 1852; they married 10 days after their arrival in the Willamette Valley. Agnes was the daughter of Reverend Jacob Gillespie and his wife, Amelia.
GN5132; n.d.; John Whiteaker, 1st governor of Oregon. He came to Oregon in 1852 and settled in Lane County in 1853. He was elected governor in 1858 and served until 1862. Oregon became a state on February 14, 1859.
GN5131; n.d.; Nancy Jane Hargroves Whiteaker, wife of Oregon's 1st governor, John Whiteaker. The Whiteaker family arrived in Oregon in 1852 and settled in Lane County in 1853, living south of Spencer Butte and later near Cloverdale. They had a house in Eugene also.
GN96; n.d.; John Whiteaker of Eugene in conversation with Charlie Davis. Whiteaker is on the right, wearing bowler hat and carrying cane. He was Oregon's first governor, serving from 1858 to 1862. Unpaved street and buildings in background; location unknown.
GN4846; n.d.; Residence of former Governor John Whiteaker, 974 Charnelton Street. Exterior. View of 2-story frame dwelling with pillared veranda; picket fence in foreground. Photograph of a painting, drawn from memory by Lucia Wilkins Moore.
GN6824; c. 1895; Alberta Shelton (later McMurphey) poses with bicycle in photographer's studio. Newspaper clipping attached to base of photo announces her as being Eugene's "first lady-cyclist". Shelton was the daughter of Dr. Thomas W. Shelton who built the Shelton-McMurphey house at the north end of Willamette Street on the slopes of Skinner Butte.
GN2319; n.d.; Portrait of Samuel Friendly, Mayor of Eugene from April 1893 to 1895. Friendly was a dry goods merchant in early Eugene.
GN944; 1893; S.H. Friendly Store, 594 Willamette Street (pre-1914 street number). Store was located on the west side of Willamette Street between 7th and 8th Avenues. Exterior. View from street. Museum file identifies men posed in entryway as Jesse Cohen, unknown, T.J. Nicklin, S.H. Friendly and A.T. Cockerline. Store sold dry goods.
GN1121; 1909; Samson H. Friendly residence, 1015 Willamette Street (post-1913 street number). Exterior. View from street showing porch, balcony and bay windows. Man on bicycle riding past house.
GN4789; n.d.; Oregon State Journal office, on the north side of 9th Avenue between Oak and Pearl Streets. Exterior. View of 2-story stone building with Mansard-style roof. Bicycle is parked on board sidewalk in foreground. The Journal was Eugene's "pioneer" newspaper, continuing for 40 years. Editor was Harrison Kincaid.
GN5242; n.d.; Harrison R. Kincaid; came to Oregon in 1853. Attended Eugene's short-lived Columbia College and became editor of Eugene's "Oregon State Journal" newspaper in 1864, a position he held for many years.
GN1409; c. 1870; Lane County Courthouse, built 1855, on the northeast corner of 8th Avenue and Oak Street. Exterior. View shows south and west sides of building surrounded by a rail fence with horses tethered in front.
GN173; 1883; Photographic reproduction of a lithograph of Eugene, looking south toward Spencer Butte. Copied from Walling's History of Lane County (1884).
GN167; c. 1890; Photographic reproduction of a lithograph showing bird's eye view of Eugene, looking northeast. Surrounding the main image are small views of homes and businesses in Eugene; also text describing Eugene City and Lane County.
GN1677; c. 1950; Lane County Clerk's Office, 232 East 7th Avenue. Used as a rental at the time of this photo. Exterior. View from street showing small, one-story frame building with pillared porch. Building is now located behind the Lane County Historical Museum, 740 West 13th Avenue.
GN8607; n.d.; Paul J. Brattain, the 1st Lane County Clerk, and member of the prominent Brattain family of Springfield. Facial portrait shows him in his senior years, with white mustache and beard. Brattain lived from 1801-1883.
GN5359; 1852; John Cogswell and Mary Frances Gay on their wedding day, October 28, 1852. Theirs was the 1st marriage license recorded in the Lane County Clerk's office. They lived on Cogswell's donation land claim at the confluence of the Mohawk and McKenzie Rivers, north of Springfield.
To see previous photos of the month and other images we have presented previously:
Pages: 1 (this page), 2, and 3.
The color photographs at the bottom of every page on this website are courtesy of Vern Rogers, who is a Lane County photographer.
Photograph at the top of this page: At the summit of the McKenzie Pass in the Cascade Mountain Range with broad expanse of lava fields; visitors view area from rocky slope in foreground, c. 1930 - Catalog Number: CS523